KABUL, Afghanistan — The nightmare scenario of NATO leaving Afghanistan to face a new period of ethnic violence and civil conflict has already become a reality in the southern province of Uruzgan.
There a militia commanded by a man named Abdul Hakim Shujaee is accused of deliberately destroying houses, raping women and murdering dozens of civilians. The government has ordered his arrest, but he remains free.
It is the kind of situation huge swathes of the country experienced after the Soviet Union withdrew and warlords ruled the land. Today it’s one of many signs that a similar era is emerging again.
Photo by AFP/Getty Images
- vodkashampoo reblogged this from globalpost
- khudakayliye likes this
- approprationisnotappreciation likes this
- sylviabe1 likes this
- eubalaenalove reblogged this from freeafghanistan
- eubalaenalove likes this
- journolist reblogged this from globalpost
- 2turtlestumbling reblogged this from freeafghanistan
- polychrome-morpheus likes this
- lifeisshorttheartislong likes this
- smilelikeyourlifedependsonit reblogged this from freeafghanistan
- quickstrokesandsolidform likes this
- damnyoubread reblogged this from freeafghanistan
- oxfordweekly likes this
- mariamsed94 reblogged this from freeafghanistan
- s4br likes this
- kuchibooty likes this
- freeafghanistan reblogged this from globalpost and added:
- globalpost posted this